Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hot Dogs and Hotel Keys


Today I threw on an old Anthropologie dress from last year. Its really more of a tunic on me and very blousy, so its not something I wear often. I lovingly refer to it as the "dog dress" because it has little yorkie, boston terrier and chihuahua heads on it. Its quirky and perfect for layering, which is exactly what I did with it today:

It made me think of a necklace I had started a while back and inspired me to complete it as the accessory for my outfit. Its an old bakelite button with a vintage boston terrier pin affixed to it. I had at one point, early in my silversmithing career, tried to solder on it not knowing the content of the metal. It immediately began melting and I panicked. Not one to abandon a hurt pooch, I patched up the poor pup, named him Barty, and decided he just had a bad day. I should mention his name is borrowed from my friend Hillary's invisible pet frenchie.




Since I took up silversmithing I quit my previous hobby of making "found object" jewelry. I haven't had much time in the studio recently so I pulled out the letterpress trays and began pairing up trinkets I have been collecting over the years. Within a few hours I had four new necklaces, all made from my found objects collection. I hope to have these up on my etsy soon for Holiday shoppers. 













No comments:

Post a Comment