Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rings Rings RIIIIIINGSSSSS!

I had an incredibly productive day in the studio today.

I had been approached on Etsy by a fellow seller (sususaid) who was in love with a ring I had sold weeks before. She wanted me to make her one but it was a one of a kind made from a vintage dagger pin I had found in a thrift store.

She located a similar dagger pin on eBay and before I knew it I had agreed to add the necessary ring shanks to the back.

The original dagger ring

just completed

SusuSaid's new dagger ring!
After I was done with that project I worked on my umbrella pendants (not yet done!) and I made three rings. I like repurposing old jewelry, just like the dagger pins I repurposed into rings. Who wears pins anyway?

The rings I made were from old earrings. I have been saving a cache of old sterling silver earrings, pins and junk jewelry to repurpose into other things. I had blogged on Closet at Capacity about a ring I had made a while back from a vintage sterling llama pin (check it out here). That ring inspired the design of the rings I made today.



Two of the rings are vintage abalone screw back earrings I found in a thrift store. I had to take the abalone out so it wouldn't disintegrate from the heat of my torch. The cat ring was a pair of earrings that had little crystals attached to them. I removed the crystals (too weird) and filed off the ring on kitty's head. I attached all three to copper backings and shaped them, adding ring shanks to the back. 

Shield Rings! If SusuSaid tries to stab you with her dagger ring, just hold up your shield ring to deflect the blow! 

These will be up on Etsy soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment